It’s nearly St. Patrick’s Day, so to McDonald’s fans – it’s Shamrock Shake time!
I have a confession to make…
Back in the day, I used to be a big fan of that creamy, minty beverage.
But now? There is no way you’d catch me drinking that chemical cocktail! But, that does not mean I have to go without. So, I’ve made my own version that I can enjoy any old time I want! Better yet, I’m sharing that version with you!
This shake has so much to offer — healthy fats, fibre, plant protein, natural sweetness and super powered antioxidants — that you can enjoy it guilt free for breakfast and even serve to your kids.
Shamrock Shake 2.0
- ½ cup coconut cream*
- ½ cup milk of choice (I like unsweetened almond milk)
- ½ cup baby spinach or kale
- ¼ cup coconut water**
- ½ frozen medium sized banana
- ¼ ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seed protein powder (another protein powder will be fine, but this one is GREEN)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (vanilla extract will work as well)
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract (these vary greatly in strength, so start small, you can always add more)
- 1-3 tsp maple syrup (optional, for those of you who aren't sweet enough already)
- ⅛ tsp Matcha green tea powder (optional, but provides an earthy sweetness and an antioxidant punch)
- ½ cup ice
- Add all ingredients to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- In a not so powerful blender add the almond milk and spinach and blend for 30 seconds or so, until the spinach is unrecognizable. Then add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
**The coconut water is what’s left in the bottom of your can of coconut cream. Plus, you can make this recipe Sugar-Free Real-Food Reset compliant by omitting the maple syrup and using a whole frozen banana if you need extra sweetness.